You know it's wet when the dawn chorus is made by oyster-catchers (apparently they're a nuisance on this site) and you wake up to this!

We had to retrace our tracks to Perth but the walk through the grounds of Scone Palace was lovely.

Especially as we saved another fiver from the Scots as I claimed my right of free passage as a 'bona fide' traveller.

In Perth I had my first English Breakfast of the trip and realised that it was my first sitdown meal for 11 days and my first cup of tea for 12 days.
We had pleasant walk up the River Tay to Luncarty and then followed a minor road to the A9. The next 2 miles were horrible. Walking in the rain on a wet grass verge facing the traffic with spray from lorries covering you is not pleasant. Gyp was heroic in the face of adversity.
From Bankfoot we took green lanes

and forest trails to Birnam - a pleasant contrast to the earlier experience on the A9.
The only problem was overcoming the Scottish farmers' obsession with electric fences. Usually the insulated handle is on a spring which you simply pull back. After three electric shocks (all fences on view were live) I realised that I had to untie the knot and move the plastic post.

We finally got to the campsite only to find out that the midges had arrived before us.
Dunkeld has two real ale pubs that both allow dogs in. I realise that I have not been inside a pub since Peebles. Time for a rest day methinks - in Pitlochry or Blair Athol before we hit the mountains. All we need is a bit of sunshine.
Can I take this opportunity to thank all of the kind people who have posted comments on my blog. I do try to read them all and Zoe is always keeping me up to date. The problem as always is battery life and connectivity. The photo of Gyp showing her teeth yesterday was to prove to Ken Klug that she really does have a face. The trouble is she hates the camera being pointed at her - very similar to myself!
No comments:
Post a Comment